In Review - W.P. Standard "Mr. Grumpy" Leather Slippers


I don't care at all for those moccasin-style house slippers you find everywhere - brown, sherpa-lined pillowy rectangles, cheap and floppy, with the same sort of lumpy silhouette and structure you get from a marshmallow that's been stepped on. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're comfortable in the same way people who live their lives in basketball shorts and sweats would argue they're comfortable, but they're just not for me. It can be difficult to find much else, though, even if you're looking. I haven't quite convinced myself I can wear Prince Albert slippers, for one (not to be confused with a Prince Albert piercing, before you start recklessly Googling). Similarly, Kilim slippers, though interesting and attractive, can also be hard to find in reliable sizing, nice styling, and affordable prices. So when I came across W.P. Standard's "Mr. Grumpy" slippers this past winter, they immediately struck my eye. After a season of wear, I'm surprised how much I've been really enjoying them. At the time, I didn't even think to take pictures of them brand new, so all the shots you'll see here are well worn at this point.

Materials and Construction

W.P. Standard's slipper design is simple, in a good way. The aesthetic reminds me of something you'd find from a brand like RRL - vaguely vintage western vibes, generally nondescript and in a familiar form aside from the single stitched cross motif in the center of each upper.  Constructed from medium weight dark brown vegetable-tanned leather with a suede inner lining and grippy rubber sole, the surface has a nice richness of color and some surprisingly great visual texture and depth as well. Veg tan leather, in general, is known for its aging character, or "patinability" if you will. You can find the most dramatic examples of this from long term wear in products made with "natural" undyed veg tan, such as these old Teranishi house slippers (which sadly seem like they were a limited run), but in darker shades you get patina that's a bit more subtle and subdued. I should note that there is some variation in the way the grain creases between the left and right foot on my pair, but it's relatively minor and not something I would deduct marks for.

Construction-wise, they're also pretty simple but solid for my daily use thus far. And while I would have chosen leather soles, I appreciate the practicality of rubber, especially in cases where I have to run outside real quick to get the mail or yell at the dogs for pooping under the deck again.


Sizing


If you came here hoping to see some pale ass feet, boy, are you in for a treat.

The standard "small" size fits my size 8 feet as suggested on the website. They're surprisingly comfortable as well, even in spite of feeling fairly substantial in hand. I've been wearing them around the house this past winter and spring, and they've been easy on my feet after a very brief break in period to get rid of the initial stiffness. Better yet, they're insulating enough to keep my feet cozy on colder house days, but not so warm as to be bound by the seasonality of the more common sherpa and shearling lined mainstays. So while my wool/shearling Armor Luxe slippers (which I don't like, actually) have been relegated to a dark corner of my closet, I'm constantly reaching for my W.P.s and expect to continue to do so through at least three seasons.

Summary and Recommendations


Maybe it's a bit of the Marie Kondo effect or just the process of getting older and incrementally wiser, but I'm at the point in my life where I only want to own things that I love. I've been trying to apply that to everything from the clothes I wear to small things like a pair of scissors or a toilet brush (as much as anyone can enjoy a toilet brush). W.P. Standard's leather slippers certainly fit the bill in that regard. They're simple, attractive, and work well with the sort of casual Americana I tend to wear. And at $60 + shipping, they're fairly priced in my opinion - affordable, but not cheap, and unlikely to stretch most wallets.

If you're looking for alternatives, there aren't that many in the same style, but Hender Scheme also makes a great-looking version in several leathers, Kaufmann Mercantile has a nice pair of house shoes with a heel, and Viberg's offerings are certainly very nice if you can afford them and are looking for more of a boot-like shoe. For my money, though, I've been quite happy lazing around the house in my Mr. Grumpy slippers, yelling at these damn kids to turn down their rock and roll music.

I don't care for the way that Elvis moves his hips.

WP Standard Store Link

Comments