Steal Alert - Jacques Soloviere Shoes On Sale - Zappos ($83 + Free Shipping)


It isn't every day you come across something different in clothing, especially in menswear. And when you do, more often than not the thing that sets it apart misses the mark and would have been better served just sticking with something tried and true. That's why it's always so exciting to discover something not only unique but successful in its distinction. 


I really like Parisian-owned, Italian-made Jacques Soloviere's shoes for this reason. Designer Alexia Aubert's handsome one-piece shoes read primarily as conventional sneakers, loafers or boots, but are also set apart by a signature "front pinched" or "wave" effect laced upper. The impact is subtle but brings an element of softness and a certain sense of romance to the design. I particularly like the pinched element when paired with the desert boot-like Ray suede lace-ups, which sit on a thicker rubber crepe sole. It's also quite attractive on the sneakers and the loafer styles as well, which should make for great summer footwear. The line, in general, is meant to be unisex, though it's explained that the "masculine shoe is the conceptual starting point for a Jacques Soloviere silhouette, which is then adapted to a woman's foot." With this approach, the core of the aesthetic remains comfortable for most guys while gently pushing a few boundaries.

The brand doesn't have a large footprint in the US, and retail pricing is also similar to brands like Common Projects and Buttero ($300-$400s), making the barrier of entry normally a bit high. You can also find Soloviere on eBay, though pricing still hovers around the $200 range, and buying off of auction sites generally carries a higher risk than purchasing from a dependable retailer.


That being said, Zappos has recently been carrying Jacques Soloviere and just put them all on clearance a few days ago. I bought them at $124.50, but they just slashed their prices again. That puts their pricing mostly under $100 with shipping ($83 for the Ray)! I ordered the Ray in beige "creta" and "olive," which I believe is what Soloviere describes as "antilope." I also reached out to Zappos for sizing prior to ordering, who advised me to take my normal US/EU conversion and then admitted they didn't know if that was actually right. Soloviere customer service suggested I measure my feet in cm and then convert that using their size chart, which frankly looks crazy wrong. I just got them in today, and I would advise going TTS. The way the laces tighten makes the fit a little more forgiving as well. They look and feel much more expensive than they cost at the moment.

I haven't been posting many sales recently, mostly because I've been trying to cut down and focus on a very high value to cost ratio. This fits the bill exactly. If you don't like them, you can always return them for free. If you do end up taking the plunge, let me know what you think.

You can find Soloviere on sale here at Zappos

Bonus tip - if you received an email from Zappos earlier in the year due to a data breach in 2012, you likely have a 10% off discount code included that expires in a few days.
















Comments

  1. Hmmm I guess they increase the price back up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof. I think it’s worth watching though if you’re interested. I bought them at 124.50 and they went up to 200s briefly again before dropping to the 80s, all within the span of less than a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is anybody looking to let go of their 'Creta' (beige) pair in a 42 or 42.5?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your blog post about using a fine-tooth comb to search this blog. I really love that you mentioned the value-driven approach and the latest posts on eyeglasses. I'm looking forward to reading your blog and hope that you can contribute to my site in the future!
    Betacraft workwear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment