Mr. Porter Semi-Annual Sale Begins


I don't stay up or get up early for many things, but the Mr. Porter sale is one of them - and the first salvo just dropped. As an avid deal hunter cursed with a taste for higher quality pieces and interesting design, there just aren't that many sales that hit all of those points. Usually, you can either have a killer deal or you can pay a premium at less of a discount for items or brands that rarely go on sale. But twice a year, like clockwork, you can count on the Mr. Porter sale to merge the two (though I would caution you that killer deal does not always = cheap). It's a magical time of the year that the heavens seem to whisper in my ear, "treat yoself."


The sale drops with an initial 30-50%, during which times the best deals are usually found on classic things that don't often hit those types of discounts. On an initial survey, that would be something like these Schott A-2 bombers at 40-50% off or this Filson bag.

Expect this to be gone today
A couple years ago I bought my own naked Perfecto at 50% off during the winter sale, and I'm still as in love as the day I first saw her...it - saw it (sorry, my wires are getting a little crossed). Mind you, it was still an investment, but I really can see myself growing old with her it.

But wait, there's more! The way I approach the Mr. Porter sale progression (it lasts weeks), it reminds me of being on the OBGYN labor and delivery service. The analogy is painfully obvious, so I'm not going to explain it. Jk - so when you're on a labor and delivery ward, it seems like everyone is sitting around waiting around for forever, and then BAM! a switch flips (or a cervix dilates, or whatever) and it's suddenly all panic and screaming and pushing and pooping.

Right now we're smack dab in the middle of a panic and pooping stage, but after this initial dump the wise thing is to relax for a bit until the next stock dump happens or discounts hit the next tier (eventually 70-80%). That usually takes a couple weeks, with intermittent stock changes. Once 70-80% happens though, immediately resume the panic and screaming. That's when I bought my Kapital peacoat last year. Each of these checkpoints is a mad scramble - enough so that the hottest items are gone in minutes/hours (for something "lower" priced like first quality Red Wings below $200), though there's plenty of deals to be had all around. Even with all the interesting stuff I've found so far, for example, I'm not sure I'm going to buy anything myself in this phase - that Camoshita coat below makes me wanna marry it, but $800 is no joke. Just be aware that there are straight savages out there who set up bots and page monitors, etc. and plan for this sale months in advance - so if you're waffling about something, you may miss out.
Please gift me this

By the way, the other thing that makes this sale so great is that shipping and returns remain free, so there is literally zero risk incurred in purchasing something you're not sure about. That's pretty rare in hard-hitting clearance sales.

A few more initial picks (updated as I find more):

Blackmeans Leather Jacket

Link to the Main Sale Page

 

Comments