Two Years In - Chester Mox #53 Bifold


If you've been following this site for a few years, you might remember this wallet I bought from Chester Mox through Massdrop in 2015, the #53 Compact Bifold in natural horsefront Chromexcel (shown brand new below):


For anyone unfamiliar with Chester Mox, check out my initial review or some of the posts found elsewhere around the net from reputable sites like From Squalor to Baller, Permanent Style, and Die, Workwear. I've carried mine every single day for almost two years now, so I figured it'd be a good time to share how it's been coming along.

I don't baby this wallet at all, but it's held up wonderfully. The handsewn saddle stitching is still tight and unbroken and the pockets have held their shape well - even when I overstuff them a little. You'll notice a couple scuffs here and there, a consequence of Chromexcel showing marks easily (and something I don't think looks bad honestly). But due to the oil content, those marks also "heal" readily as the oils slowly redistribute, so I'd wager they'll be mostly gone next week. At most, you may see the hint of a color change where they sued to be, adding a little color depth and a hint of patina.



Items like these only become more uniquely yours the more you use them and the longer you own them. I flip my wallet open with my left hand, for example, and take cards and cash in and out with my right, so the left side is a little darker from the oils in my hand. You can also tell which side it lies on in my back pocket as well as it's been molded to and constantly abused by my sharp butt.

Butt side up


There's this point of view a lot of guys have - even ones who care about what they own and what they wear normally - that they just wouldn't think to spend more than $30-40 on a wallet. I kind of get it because you can get something passable for less that does the job and should hold up just fine, but considering people are paying $1000 for a phone every other year without blinking an eye, I'd really recommend treating yourself (or someone you know) to something you'll cherish for many years to come, for not that much more money in the long run. If you think about the amount of money you might drop on dinner and drinks over the weekend, you may be surprised how the two compare. There's an old saying: "Nothing tastes as good as leather feels." I think that's how it goes.

I should point out that I stand to gain nothing from singing Chester Mox's praises aside from knowing that I might bring a little more recognition to a brand doing great work, and at a great value. Almost without fail, anywhere Chester Mox products are mentioned another leatherworker will chime in about the high quality of their work at such a relatively low cost. It's been a year or more since Massdrop had any Chester Mox products on order, but it might be worth keeping your eye on (if you aren't a member, feel free to use my referral link). Otherwise, you can find the full range of Chester Mox products on their site here.

Also shown: Watch - Seagull 1963, Sunglasses - Persol

Comments

Post a Comment