Steal Alert - Wallace and Barnes Big Drops (Shirts/Jackets < $20)

I recently posted about how the vintage and workwear-oriented Wallace and Barnes is still excellent, but a lot of the items from J. Crew's W&B collection just took a couple large, sequential drops into straight up steal territory over the past few days. I feel conflicted about it, actually - the consumer side is very excited about the fantastic value, but the menswear side of me is a bit worried about what that potentially portends about selling workwear in the mainstream space. In any case, it's happened and the prices are just silly - sub $20 for a lot of items shipped, and a bonus in store if you can find them (read on below).


You have to trust me on this (ignore the fit pic entirely, where they look rather stupid - look at the product pics for a better representation of the fabric and non-Mexican street gang buttoning), but these heavy herringbone twill workshirts are some of the best things out right now. The olive shirt, my favorite thing in the store currently, available in all sizes, and is $16.24 shipped for J. Crew Rewards members (it's free to sign up) and extra 35% off code FAMILY right now. That's just stupid. Even at $25.99 for the dusty slate version, they're incredible for under $100. I'd put them right up against anything RRL has in the same category, and at 1/10 the price. I'm really serious, if you're okay with classic fit shirts, just buy one and thank me later. This cotton hemp work shirt is thinner/plainer, and more of a classic staple, but also great at $16.89. I bought all of them. 


If you're lucky enough to still be able to find that indigo dobby shirt in your size, as well, it's $17.54. It's been pretty run through since the Friends and Family event started the other day, but you may be able to find them still in stores. My store, for example, still has some items that have been sold out online to this point.

This camo zip front jacket is also made in a really nice, slubby heavy cotton, utilizes a main zipper made by Talon (a nice vintage touch), and rings in at $18.84. I wouldn't worry too much about being able to pull off camo, either. If you can wear a field jacket without feeling self-conscious, you're not far off.


Bonus in Stores - Wallace and Barnes makes some great bandanas as well - much better than the ones you remember growing up with, and much cheaper than other repro/vintage options out there - which list at $15. They're hardly ever listed online, for whatever reason, but there were a ton of them sitting around in a box in my store (Center City Philadelphia). I decided to price check them anyway, and many are ringing up at $7.99, $5.99, and $3.99 - before an extra 35% off. That makes them as low as $2.59.  I grabbed a hand full and ran (I mean, I paid first). These days, I'm wearing them a lot tied around my neck in place of a light scarf, and they pair easily with anything listed above.


I'm sorry I keep bolding all the prices, but they're seriously mind-blasting and I'd imagine won't last that long stock-wise. I bought all the stuff I talked about here except for the indigo dobby shirt (if the price reads differently in store than online, just show them the web page on your phone and they'll change it), for a total $90 for everything, and when I was done the store associate just said "Wow. You really made out today." I think he actually said wow a few times. Shipping is free with free returns as well if you order online, so worst you can do is find out you don't like it and send it back with nothing committed.

By the way, the new items they just dropped for W&B in the past few days (not on sale) also look very compelling, but that's another discussion for another day.





Comments