5 Month Progress - Red Wing Beckmans


I bought these boots back in May, so we're about 5 months into it and I have to say the rumors about the tough break-in are not unfounded - no blisters or raw spots thankfully, but they've been eased in gently for a couple hours a day a few times a week, and finally taken hiking in the Smokey Mountains recently to soften up the stiff uppers and get to the point where I don't feel like my feet are fighting them.
 


Earlier, I swapped out the ludicrously short stock laces for a longer (and unfortunately less waxy) pair that can be loosened considerably for easier on/off without unlacing and relacing the top eyelets every time. It makes a big difference, if you've been considering it on your own pair.

Surface dust/dirt cleaned off with a paper towel

After wiping them down and cleaning them up with a damp cloth, I just gave them a quick polish and a touch of burnishing to the toe and heel for a little more tonal depth. I have to say, I like how these are coming along.

Cleaned, polished, burnished




I noted this a post or so ago, but keep your eye on the seconds quality Beckman line at STP if you're in the market for a pair of knock-around boots. They're not on extra discount at the moment, but when they are they will move fast. On the other hand, there are some great Blacksmith models with speed hooks and a mini lug sole, and limited edition Lineman and Postman boots as well - looks like STP just restocked on a bunch, and they qualify for an extra 25% off and free shipping by email code. 

Comments